Thursday, August 4, 2011

Competing with Mom

I grew up in a home where mom always cooked and baked. She made (and still makes) amazing pies. Pies seem to be the bakers nightmare, working to get the crust nice and flaky and the filly just perfect. I have to mention that I LOVE pies, and seem to be in our little family.  Well, recently we have been participating in a food coop called Bountiful Baskets.  It is amazing. Pay $15.00 and get 50% veggies and 50% fruit. Some of it is stuff I've never bought or tried, and others are way yummy.  For instance, we've gotten Swiss chard -- mmmmm; also fresh figs.... maybe yum, but not really. But there is a ton of produce for the amount that is paid.  One week we got 6 Grannie Smith apples.  All I know to do with Grannie Smith apples is to make pie.  I thought of eating them, but then the pie would creep back into my brain. So Angela and I made pie. She was so excited to pay with the dough, mix the apples, but she would never taste it. I tried a new recipe (sorry mom). I did use mom's crust, but the apples after peeled I mixed with the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg (without cooking). Then poured into the crust and cooked.  Figures - when it's not going to anyone, or having company over, the pie turns our beautiful.


I have to say, it tasted as good as it looks.  I ate one piece, ok really 2 1/2, and threw the rest in the trash. It made me sad, but I really didn't want to admit to myself that I ate a whole pie, so I had to get rid of the temptation.  However, there was enough pie dough left over for "pie dough cookies."  we LOVE pie dough cookies. Basically you just take the left over dough, and cut it into circles, poke a fork in it, and then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, bake. Mmmmmmmm..... could eat those all day, fortunately so could Angela so I save them for her as a treat.